Jewish Federation Teen Israel Experience Funding Policy
Approved by the Jewish Federation Board on December 5, 2019
Updated by the Jewish Federation Board on August 27, 2020
Policy Effective as of January 1, 2020
In order to receive the Jewish Federation scholarship (1/3 of the trip cost) for an approved Jewish trip to Israel along with $118 gift for the trip, a Bar/Bat Mitzvah family must be a member of one of the congregations and a member in good standing with the Jewish Federation, which requires an annual Jewish Federation donation from the year of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah through the year of the teen Israel trip (no parameters on the amount). This requirement must be met to be considered for the scholarship and spending funds.
Students meeting the following scenarios will automatically receive the Jewish Federation sponsorship and spending funds:
- Celebrated their b’nai mitzvah in one of our congregations and are living in our community when it is time for their teen Israel trip.
- Celebrated their b’nai mitzvah in another community and are enrolled and participating in studies at one of our congregations from the time their family moves here until the time for their teen Israel trip.
- Converted to Judaism after b’nai mitzvah age, but are enrolled and participating in studies at one of our congregations until the time for their teen Israel trip.
Funding for students who celebrated their b’nai mitzvah in our community and moved away prior to their teen Israel trip will be assessed on a case-by-case basis by the Jewish Federation’s Executive Committee. Families must be members in good standing at the Jewish Federation of Greater Oklahoma City. Factors to be included in the decision making will include:
- Whether or not the student’s family is living in a community which provides similar subsidies or grants.
- If the student has continued his/her formal Jewish education at a congregation/school in their new community.
- Financial need.
The Jewish Federation Board will abide by this policy regardless of decisions made by any of the congregations.